Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Flatmate Fun

I've settled in Wanaka. I'm sharing a flat with Tim (from Netherlands) and Fiona (from Ireland). We spent some time exploring Wanaka by bike...

Being stalked from plain view. Can somebody start a scholarship fund for Fiona so she can get a proper education in paparazziism


Lunch in Sticky Forrest


Prevent terrorism. Ride a bike.

Posing

 Candid

If you've gone bike riding with me, you know what we're doing!



We've also explored some of Wanaka by 4WD... with less "success."


Whoops! :) 

The mountains are getting whiter every day. A few nights ago it hailed, though at the time I thought cockroaches were scuttling across the windowsill. Tim and Fiona have both secured employment... Tim is a chef, and Fiona is a make-up artist, but they have both found jobs waiting tables at local restaurants/ski resort. I am pursuing volunteer work while looking for paid employment. I'm learning that there is a price to pay for staying in a small town. Job opportunities in my field are limited here - especially for those who don't have residency... but we will see what happens. A big part of me wishes I had gotten into waitressing at some point in my life... I could use the experience right about now!


Lake Wanaka


Quiz Night at a local bar.
One of the questions was: Which MLB team in San Francisco shares a name with the NFL team in New York?


I spent 4 years learning French... 6 years forgetting it... and was still able to communicate with French Ben!


More flatmate fun

Dining Area of our flat...

Kitchen

And Fire!

I also climbed Mt. Iron in Wanaka. Its summit offers beautiful views of Wanaka, the mountains, and the lakes. You can even find the solution to the maze at Puzzling World :)

 Snow!

Mt. Iron

Pretty plants

 Puzzling World

Wanaka

Lake Wanaka


I miss everybody at home and abroad... hope you all enjoy your summer while I hit the slopes :)

3 comments:

  1. omg love love love the new pics!! i need to start bike riding again too but you make riding here look so boring!! the flat looks great! miss you tons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Wanaka looks amazing! How crazy are the locals going over the Cup? That tie with Italy was huge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My new favorite post! Makes me wish that you and I had done more riding together in San Diego.

    The flat looks suave! Very impressive. Good luck finding a job! There are few skills involved in waiting tables other than being personable and having a decent memory. Both of which you posses. I wouldn't let a lack of previous experience deter you too much!

    If all else fails just lie on your resume, it worked for me when I got my first serving job!

    ReplyDelete