Friday, November 20, 2009

Starting Out

I came to NZ to get away from technology/materialism, the hustle/bustle of everyday life and the "rat-race." Kind of like "Into the Wild" except the Alaska part. And the ending (I hope). Why I decided to pack my hairdryer, curler, and create a blog, I don't know. I guess more than wanting to get away from technology/materialism is wanting to be happy on my own terms, and to get rid of false pressures in my life. This is my life, it is a short one, and I am going to live it. At the risk of changing the favorable (or unfavorable) impressions of me, here is the truth of my experience. Plus, I like to share.



Why NZ?

I made 2 very distinct decisions: (1) to get away from the USA and (2) to explore and be challenged by a new place and people. I won't elaborate on reason (1) here because it's all negative, and I try not to complain. Anyway there's no need.. sometimes it is better to just leave. Reason (2): Why NZ? I had always wanted to go somewhere... S. Africa and Australia were the only places that really stood out to me. One day I stumbled upon a list of "top 10 happiest places to be in the world" and saw that NZ was on the list. I knew nothing of NZ, so I did some quick research...the more I researched, the more I was excited just to discover such a place existed. The water/beaches, cycle of seasons, English, indigenous culture, favorable conversion rate ($), small population, distance from home, greenery, and animals ..."Yay!" But really it was the testimony from those who have been there that gave me the final push to make this trip. So thank you, Kiwis!


Planning
I decided not to come here on a program. I like the scare of not knowing. Passport, visa, plane ticket, traveler's checks, bank account, and luggage was all it took. I had already quit my job, so it wasn't really a factor for me. Then came goodbye. To my beloved Volvo. *sniff* Hardest thing ever.


I guess it was hard to say goodbye to the people in my life too. :) Actually, it was very difficult. Many were very sorry and especially nice to me when I left. But it was those who had been there every day, in every situation, that I will truly miss and think of.


Departing

I booked my flight with Air New Zealand about a month in advance. I had to fly to LA via United, then from LA to Auckland via Air New Zealand. The flight from LA to NZ was very disappointing - my seat was changed at the last minute, the service was poor, it was cold, and the staff was curt. I couldn't sleep, it was very uncomfortable and worse than I feared it to be. The entertainment was OK, it just didn't make up for everything else. The sky, on the other hand, was perfect.




Arriving
I had to declare a number of things in customs. I didn't want to go straight to jail, so I declared things from the cheese on the Doritos to the dirt on the Disc Golf discs. After collecting my luggage I realized I had over-packed. I probably brought twice or thrice what I needed in clothing and half of what I needed in toiletries.


Homestay
I will be staying in (St. Johns) Auckland for a month. I am staying with a woman who owns a business selling her own line of skin care products - very impressive. I am also living with her adopted daughter/business partner and another young homestay from Japan who is here to learn NZ English. They are all very kind and considerate. I will be here for a month and/or until I decide where to go next. I have my own room and share a bathroom. There are 2 cats (one looks like Big Marlon) and a dog here. Breakfast and Dinner are included (also Lunch on weekends). 






5 comments:

  1. Liana!!! I am so proud of you. I laughed multiple times reading about NZ already, its your humor that brings it out! I'm really happy that you made it over there ok, but not so excited that Air New Zealand wasn't as great. I'm going to keep reading because I'm ecstatic to explore a new country soon too! I'm going to miss you, but good luck, and find new meanings in life. I'll keep reading, and see you in a few months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liana,

    I enjoyed reading your blog! Please keep us posted and best wishes to you.

    Take care,
    Fema
    P.S I have my own blog from years ago, but forgot my password..lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay!! love the blog so far, cant wait to hear more about your adventures. love you and miss you tons already....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bloggerrrrrrriffic!!! This sounds like the beginning of a journey never to forget!! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to know that you made it safe and sound. You are very brave to go so far by yourself. I would like to keep up with your blog because I am so interested in the simple things in life that a new place, country, culture can teach. I hope you have fun exploring and be safe.

    ReplyDelete