Friday, November 20, 2009

Settling In

Tomorrow I'm going to do some exploring in the city. I'm going to the market and a sports event of some sort, I've already forgotten what it's called.

The entire country of NZ has a population of 4,340,271. The SF Bay Area has a population of about 7,400,000. It's another fact that makes me happy to be here. I will miss having Thanksgiving at home but I won't miss the 20 lbs. I won't be gaining. I'm a little hesitant to go outside to explore for a number of reasons. (1) it's scary. (2) it's cold!!! This weather isn't what I expected, but it will get better. The air is still clean and crisp, and everything outside is so nice that feeling cold doesn't really matter. (3) apparently asian people are not favored here. i have heard they can be rude and dangerous... so I am scared to come across them, and scared that others will think I am them.  (4) i might get locked out. don't have a key yet and the house is heavily secured by an alarm system, so i have to communicate my outings. it's not a big deal but i'd rather wait until tomorrow (5) i like this family. it's nice to be here with them, and i am learning so much about them and about NZ. The stories are either of horror or comedy. From what I've heard, the policing and judicial systems can be appalling (especially those involving animal control). Any dog that bites is automatically put on death row. Dogs are required to be microchipped. Police officers don't carry guns.

Well, I don't know why I just made this list.

I wasn't completely inactive today. I went to the bank to get rent money and found out HSBC has a relationship with the local bank Westpac. So I won't have to open a local account after all, which is nice. I saw St. Heliers and Mission Bay, very cute beachfront places with local shops. My hostess has the Serenity Prayer in her kitchen - I love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment