Wednesday, May 12, 2010

South for the Winter

I "finally" made it to the South Island! After leaving National Park, I headed down to Palmerston North and then to Wellington. From Wellington I took the InterIslander Ferry (about 3 hr) across the Cook Strait to Picton in the South Island! Then I drove over to Nelson and continued onto Golden Bay, where I am now. Golden Bay reminds me of the Bay of Islands, and that is dangerous.... because I very much want to stay here. And I have been so happy to support this town that I pumped a lot of money into the economy over the last 2 days :P

Plimmerton

 Birdies in the local library

 
Lining up for the ferry!

Hurrah

I've never driven onto a ship before! It was really exciting!



A movie theatre on-board

Poor cows didn't look like they wanted to be there :(

The Cook Strait - lovely!

The cows in the evening



Arriving into Picton

Scenic drive toward Nelson



Ha ha... THIS is what it's all about!

Chomp-chomp!

Yodel-ehh-eee-hoo!!

Happy happiness... this is great cheese! At home they're cubes, but here they're pie-shaped!! YUMMM

I apologize for not posting pictures of Wellington. It's a beautiful city and I had fun there, but will probably not settle there after all. I love the country-side too much. I will pass through Wellington again when I return to the North Island in late Spring. The Great Walks will have to wait until Spring as well. For now, I am enjoying Golden Bay... 

1 comment:

  1. they do have pie shaped laughing cow cheese here!! we just always get the cubes! bc they are cuter!

    the ferry looked FUN! hope some of that money you pumped in to the economy was for gifts for ME! lol!

    ReplyDelete